The bathroom is one of the rooms in a home that can be the most daunting and expensive to update. That being said, bathroom updates can bring a huge return on investment and are vitally important in terms of resale value. Real estate agents will tell you that kitchens and bathrooms sell homes. So, whether you are getting your house ready to sell or just wanting to spruce it up for your family to enjoy, bathroom updates don’t have to cost a lot of money. Take a look at these 5 easy ideas by Boise Home Builders that any DIYer can do to take their bathroom from old and tired to modern and chic!
- Choose a Great Paint Color: Few things can do more to update the appearance of a room than a new paint color. Paint is inexpensive, and even a novice can tackle this project. When choosing your paint, it is best to stick with a semi-gloss or gloss finish so that it will endure the scrubbing and moisture associated with bathrooms. If you are updating the bathroom for your own benefit, choose a color that you love and will love for a long time. If, however, you are doing it for resale value, remember that buyers need to be able to see themselves in the home. This is most easily accomplished with neutral colors on the walls and splashes of color elsewhere.
- Upgrade the Flooring: Many homes are built using the most basic builder-grade materials. Often these homes look dated quickly because of the poor quality products used. If you find yourself in this situation, there are endless choices in every price range when it comes to bathroom flooring. One of the best flooring options for budget-friendly bathrooms is porcelain or ceramic tile. This type of flooring is both waterproof and affordable, while still providing style. There are many different types and patterns of tile that will allow you to create the look you want. It will give your new bathroom a clean, updated feel and can be accomplished in a weekend.
- Update your Cabinets: If your cabinets are looking tired and old, you can easily bring them into the current decade. First, check to see if your cabinets are structurally sound. Do the drawers and cupboards work well? Is the countertop in good condition? If there are no structural problems, sanding all of the cabinets down and then painting or re-staining them is a good option. There are also many new Cabinet Transformation products available that can help you do the job more efficiently by using their system to remove the old finish and add a new one. And while you are updating the cabinets, think about adding new pulls and handles to bring some style to the space.
- Frame the Mirror: Many bathroom mirrors are just plain boring and add very little to the aesthetic of the room. You can find beautiful frames at home decor stores and antique shops, but often these large mirror frames will sell for hundreds of dollars. A cheaper alternative is to frame the mirror yourself. There are numerous step-by-step tutorials around the internet that can help you with this simple project. Using MDF baseboards or other types of wood is an inexpensive way to create a stylish frame. After a little sawing, painting, and gluing, you can transform your mirror into a piece of art rather than an eyesore.
- Swap out those Fixtures: One last touch to complete your DIY bathroom update is to swap out your old fixtures for new modern ones. While fairly inexpensive, these new fixtures can be the perfect accessories to add sophistication to your new updated bathroom. When choosing fixtures, carefully consider what materials you will be using. While once extremely popular, gold fixtures can often look outdated. Instead you could consider more modern options like chrome, polished nickel or oil-rubbed bronze. Along with material, shape and style are also important. Find something that matches the overall style and feel of your bathroom.
Once you have made the necessary updates, finish off your project with a good deep cleaning to make the space look its best, followed by some simple accessories to make it pop. Then step back and enjoy your new bathroom. Remodels do not always need to be expensive to look great and make your home more desirable to buyers. With a little time and effort, you can update that old bathroom and save money by doing it yourself.